In 1413 there were a group of thieves who robbed the sick and dying bodies of their valuables without contracting the feared and highly contagious Bubonic Plague (also known as “The Black Death”)! This legend inspired the creation of Defensor™.
Among other things, Defensor™ means “one who defends/a protector/a defender”. It sounds weird but when you find out what it is all about you will love it!
So here goes …
The Black Death spread throughout France, the rest of Europe and even Asia killing thousands. It affected everyone, including doctors and nurses. The plague was deadly and anyone in the area was bound to contract it and it was fatal.
When these thieves were captured they faced being burned alive. This was the punishment for their actions at the time. However, the judge was intrigued by their ability to survive the deadly plague and made them an offer they couldn’t refuse. His offer was to spare them this punishment if they would share their secret.
Be careful of offers you can’t refuse!
It turns out that these thieves were perfume and spice merchants. At the time all ports were closed to try and prevent the spread if the deadly plague. The traders ended up unemployed – resulting in this desperate plundering. They prepared a secret recipe of essential botanical oils and applied it to their hands, feet, temples and ears. They also made a mask that they wore over their face to prevent being infected by the devastating disease. After being captured, revealing their secret didn’t save them from their final demise as promised by the judge. They merely ended up trading being burned alive with being hanged for their crimes. Poor guys.
Ever wonder why doctors are sometimes referred to as “quacks”?
What was really interesting was that the mask that they wore was in the shape of a kind of beak. They would put the oil on pieces of cloth which they placed inside the beak so that they would breathe in the essence. The doctors at the time made similar masks for themselves. They also applied the oil specifically on their hands, feet, temples and ears, as the merchants explained. In this way they hoped to treat people without possibly contracting the disease themselves. Ever hear your grandpa or grandma call the doctor a quack? Well now you know why.
Since I’ve discovered the efficacy of essential oils I decided to create a formula containing a blend of some of the said oils contained in the “thieves oil blend” being Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Lemon and then I added Frankincense, Myrrh and Spikenard because I wanted an all-rounder for my own family – see more on these below.
The combination of these 7 oils I call
Using this oil has become essential in our home.
With 3 active daughters running around all day, I don’t take any chances. We mostly use it on our feet to support our immune system since there are 7,000 nerve endings in each foot. I believe doing this can benefit the entire body all at once.
The oils found in Defensor™ have antimicrobial properties. This means they may help kill bacteria, fungi, or viruses when people use them topically on the skin and small cuts or wounds. Research into the combination of the oils is very limited but studies have shown a significant reduction in airborne levels of three types of bacteria at least. A lot more research has been done on the benefit of the individual components of Defensor™.
Potential benefits of DEFENSOR™.
The potential benefits of the oils used in Defensor™ oil include boosting the immune system, promoting respiratory health, and fighting microbes. Although some of these benefits are anecdotal, the individual components of Defensor™ (Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Rosemary, Frankincense, Myrrh and Spikenard) have been shown to have antimicrobial properties, promote wound healing, and may provide pain relief, reduce anxiety and promote well-being and more.
You can use the Defensor™ Application Oil as is as a hand sanitizer, rub on the bottom of your feet to keep away colds and flu, or apply to areas where you may be having aches and pains. A few drops in a bowl of steaming hot water makes a wonderful decongestant. You can also put a few drops of Defensor™ Essential Oil in water and use it as a spritzer or drop it in a diffuser to refresh the air and chase away all those “unwanteds”. I use one or two drops (yes that little) in my bath. It gives me a lovely lift and is super refreshing. See more on How To Use Defensor™ here.
“research shows that the “thieves oil blend” (Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Lemon) has a 99.96 percent kill rate against airborne bacteria – interrupting the life cycle and interfering with the ability of viruses to replicate.”
It is important that you do your own research.
Here is more information on how to use Defensor™ and benefits of the individual oils used.
This study was done before 1997 and was published on-line in 2011 where it was established that
Diffusion of the oil blend, Thieves, can significantly reduce the number of aerosol-borne bacteria and may have application in treating air for enclosed environments and preventing transmission of aerosol-borne bacterial pathogens.
As previously mentioned, Defensor™ doesn’t only contain the combination of ‘thieves oil’. It also contains
- Frankincense: specifically for its healing and repair properties as well as its believed ability to clear nasal passageways,
- Myrrh: specifically for its ability to combat pain and swelling and is a powerful anti-oxidant. Myrrh is often used to lift negative moods and promote the feeling of being grounded
- Spikenard: for its believed ability to promote healthy sleep and helps maintain physical, mental and psychological balance. Spikenard means “light” thus bringing all the oils together “into the light”. Spikenard is the oil that Mary applied to Jesus’s feet at the last supper. It is a very special and expensive anointing oil that was used in those times as it was believed to “turn on the light” in side of you.
You can find more studies on the individual oils. Here are some to help you get going.
In this study (2017): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5641543/ it was found that cinnamon bark and clove bud was highly active against the cultures of Borrelia burgdorferi (B. burdorferi) persistent in Lyme disease.
In 2012 a study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609378/ indicated that Eucalyptus had antimicrobial activity against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus areus and might be exploited as natural antibiotic for treatment of several infectious diseases caused by these two germs …
In addition, a study was done in 2019 which showed that inhaling Eucalyptus essential oil may relieve some types of pain.
This 2019 study showed a positive effect of a compound found in cinnamon oil which promoted wound healing as well as reduction in pseudomonas aeruginosa, a bacteria found in nature that can cause infection, especially in people with a compromised immune system.
Once you start you will find much more. Here are a few more.
- 2018: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6064118/
- 2017: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5641543/
- 2013: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609378/
Defensor™ is available in 3 basic formulas plus other more focused blends .
- Defensor™ Essential Oil is useful with a Diffuser. It contains a combination of only pure and natural and organic essential oils. Just check the instructions for your diffuser so you use it correctly. A diffuser allows the scent/essence of essential oils to disseminate throughout a room. This oil is pure essential oils only and care must be taken with its use.
- Defensor™ Application Oil. This oil is a blend of 10% Defensor Essential Oil and Grapeseed carrier oil giving a beautifully uplifting aroma. This oil is diluted and can be used directly on the skin, however, please follow the guidelines for safety tips.
- Defensor™ Body Care. This oil is a 2% blend of essential oil in grapeseed oil as a carrier. Apply to the entire body, avoiding eyes or sensitive areas, and enjoy the invigorating fragrances and all day protection. It is also good to first do a skin test if you haven’t used essential oils before.
Defensor™ can also be used in creams and lotions to soothe cuts and bruises, or for steam inhalation assisting with respiratory congestion or sinus issues
The information on this blog is for educational and entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as advice, diagnosis or implied treatment. Please consult a professional should you experience discomfort or dis-ease. Have a look at these guidelines to insure proper use
** Please note that prices might change without prior notice due to the nature of obtaining them from far away places with different exchange rates.